Regulation and Policy Analysis
Analysis Group helps companies, stakeholder groups, and government entities evaluate the costs, benefits, and risks of policies and regulations and develop strategies to adapt to them. We have consulted on regulatory and policy issues in areas such as:
- Emissions of criteria pollutants subject to National Ambient Air Quality Standards
- Greenhouses gases
- Water use and discharge
- Energy infrastructure
Assessing the Costs and Benefits of Water Regulations
On behalf of individual companies and industry groups, Analysis Group developed cost-effectiveness and cost-benefit analyses and commented on the EPA’s nationwide Clean Water Act Section 316(b) Phase II rulemaking for cooling water intake structures at existing power plants. The EPA substantially revised its benefits estimation after we submitted our comments.
Our recent casework includes:
- Projecting the costs and benefits to a large U.S. manufacturer of changes to provisions in Congressional cap-and-trade legislation for controlling greenhouse gases
- Determining the cost impacts for utilities – and their consumers – of alternative water treatment strategies
- Assessing the economic impact of combined sewer overflow controls
- Critiquing economic estimates of the costs of AB 32, California’s "Global Warming Solutions Act of 2006"
- Analyzing the economic impacts of alternative pollution control technologies for an agricultural operation