Keith R. Ugone
Ph.D., economics, Arizona State University; M.A., economics, University of Southern California; B.A., economics, University of Notre Dame
Summary of Experience
Dr. Ugone specializes in the application of economic principles to complex business disputes and is experienced in economic and damages-related analyses. He has provided financial and economic consulting services in cases involving antitrust, breach of contract, class certification, intellectual property, professional negligence, and securities-related issues. Dr. Ugone has frequently evaluated lost profits and valuation-related issues using large databases and complex computer models.
Dr. Ugone has constructed or evaluated damages models that have included such components as lost sales analyses, incremental cost analyses, assessments of profitability, assessments of the capacity to produce additional units, the competitive business environment in which a damage claim is made, claimed lost business value, and claimed reasonable royalties. He has performed economic liability analyses in antitrust matters including defining relevant markets, assessing market power, and evaluating alleged anticompetitive behavior. In consumer product class action matters, Dr. Ugone has addressed economic- and damages-related issues relating to classwide proof of claimed economic harm and price premium claims, including analyses of demand drivers affecting consumer purchase decisions and product pricing patterns observed at wholesale and retail levels. With respect to patent infringement matters, he has performed lost profits-related and reasonable royalty-related analyses.
Dr. Ugone has testified at trial and in deposition more than 450 times.
Provided Expert Testimony
- Batsheva Ackerman et al. v. The Coca-Cola Company and Energy Brands Inc.
- Bedrock Computer Technologies, LLC v. Google Inc.
- Bedrock Computer Technologies, LLC v. Yahoo!
- California Amplifier 10b-5 Litigation
- CEATS, Inc. v. Continental Airlines, Inc. et al.
- Cheetah Omni LLC v. Verizon Services Corporation, et al.
- Convolve, Inc. v. Dell, Inc., Western Digital Corporation, Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Inc., and Hitachi, Ltd.
- DDR Holdings, LLC v. Hotels.com, LP et al.
- ePlus Inc. v. Lawson Software Inc.
- Hitachi Consumer Electronics Co. Ltd. and Hitachi Advanced Digital Inc. v. Top Victory Electronics (Taiwan) Co. Ltd., et al.
- In re Williams Securities Litigation
- Kenneth Hobbs v Brother International Corporation et al
- Lake Cherokee Hard Drive Technologies, LLC v. Marvell Semiconductor, Inc.
- Levi Jones et al. v. ConAgra Foods Inc.
- NXP B.V. v. BlackBerry Limited and BlackBerry Corporation
- Oil-Dri Corporation of America v. Nestlé Purina PetCare Company
- Patent Infringement Matter Against E-commerce Retailer
- Personal Audio LLC v. Apple Inc.
- SP Syntax (Silver Point Capital, L.P.) v. Ernst & Young, LLP
- St. Jude Medical, Inc. v. Access Closure, Inc.
- Twister Communications Network, Inc. v. MCI WorldCom Network Services, Inc.
- Tyco Healthcare Group LP, et al. v. Ethicon Endo-Surgery Inc.
- Colgate v. Procter & Gamble Company
- Economic Loss Analyses in Wrongful Death Case
- Evan Weiner et al. v. Snapple Beverage Corporation
- Lost Earnings Analysis in Wrongful Termination Case
- The Board of Trustees of the Southern California IBEW-NECA Defined Contribution Plan et al. v. The Bank of New York Mellon Corporation et al.
ABA Expert Witnesses newsletter. Spring/Summer 2011, Vol. 7 No. 1
Fleming E, Herscovici S, Ugone K
Financial Expert Witness Challenges and Exclusions: Results and Trends in Federal and State Cases Since Kumho Tire
Ugone K, Ranallo LF
Litigation Services Handbook
Ugone K, Ranallo LF
June 24, 2019
April 02, 2019
June 18, 2018
December 07, 2016
June 20, 2016