Michael J. Quinn
Ph.D. and M.A., economics, Princeton University; S.B., economics, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Summary of Experience
Dr. Quinn specializes in the application of economics and finance to issues in the natural gas industry. He has served as an expert on matters involving natural gas transportation, distribution, storage, and commodity markets, as well as electricity transmission and distribution. He has worked with leading academic experts from prominent institutions on cases involving issues such as commodity market manipulation, risk management practices, and hedging strategies.
He has consulted to governments and government regulators (including the US Federal Energy Regulatory Commission, Mexico's energy regulator, the government of Singapore, the state of Victoria in Australia, Argentina's energy regulator, and New Zealand's Treasury Department, among others), nongovernmental organizations ("NGOs," including the World Bank and the Asian Development Bank), and numerous private companies all over the world. He has provided training sessions for energy market regulators. He has advised on both physical gas market issues as well as on futures and derivatives trading to government entities, NGOs, and private firms. Dr. Quinn has advised governments on prices and pricing methodologies for natural gas, natural gas price negotiations, industry restructuring, contractual disputes over pricing, and rate design for pipeline systems. For such clients, he has analyzed issues of market power in natural gas matters involving potential acquisitions as well as the effects of industry restructuring on the potential for the exercise of market power.
He has taught microeconomic theory, statistics, and econometrics at Princeton and Tufts universities.
Provided Expert Testimony
- Baker v. American Century Investment Management
- Damages Analysis Regarding Price Risk Management Strategy
- E. & J. Gallo Winery v. Encana Energy Services, et al.
- FERC v National Fuel Marketing LLC
- Gallus, et al. v. Ameriprise Financial, Inc.
- Jones v. Harris Associates
- Liberty Media v. IAC/InterActiveCorp.
- Mutual Fund Excessive Fee Case
- Rabin v. MONY Life Insurance Company
- SLM Corporation (Sallie Mae) v. J.C. Flowers II L.P.
- United States v. Mark David Radley, et al.
- US Commodity Futures Trading Commission v. Donald R. Wilson and DRW Investments, LLC
- White v. R.M. Packer Co., Inc.
Journal of Investment Management, Vol. 10, No. 1, 2012
January 11, 2019