Mark A. Gustafson
M.P.P., John F. Kennedy School of Government, Harvard University; B.A., business economics and political science, University of California, Los Angeles
Summary of Experience
Mr. Gustafson applies his expertise in economics, econometrics, and modeling to litigation, complex business issues, and the analysis of public policy issues. He has worked extensively in the areas of health care, insurance, finance, intellectual property, commercial damages, and class actions.
He has provided deposition and trial testimony relating to retirement benefits and employment compensation, and he has critiqued plaintiffs' proposed damages formula in several class actions. His most recent case work has involved evaluating claims of excessive investment fees in corporate 401(k) defined contribution plans, analyzing health insurance claims to identify instances of inappropriate billing by hospital providers, and auditing risk-pool reconciliations that set the level of at-risk payments to a hospital group and its physician partners. Mr. Gustafson has explored economic issues associated with a wide range of insurance products, including disability, health, life, product liability, and property insurance, as well as variable annuities. Additionally, he has extensive experience assembling and analyzing large, proprietary data sets common in insurance and health care engagements.
Mr. Gustafson is a coauthor of "Use of Statistical Sampling in Litigation" and "Expert Analysis of Class Certification Issues," both in the 5th Edition of the Litigation Services Handbook. He is also the coauthor of a paper investigating the post-stop actions taken by officers of the Los Angeles Police Department to determine if the observed behavior was consistent with racial profiling.
Prior to joining Analysis Group, Mr. Gustafson was the business manager in Tokyo for an international nonprofit. He also taught economics as a course assistant at Harvard University's John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Class Action Sales Practices Litigation Surrounding Vanishing Premium Sales
- Class Action v. Horace Mann Life Insurance et al.
- Colgate Softsoap False Advertising Consumer Class Action
- Confidential Regulatory Matter Involving Alleged Failure to Annuitize Variable Annuities
- ERISA Health Care Litigation Related to Deductibles and Out-of-Pocket Expenses
- In re Managed Care Litigation
- L-3 Communications Integrated Systems v. Lockheed Martin Corporation
- LAPD Pedestrian and Motor Vehicle Stop Data Analyses
- LAPD Racial Profiling Analysis
- Margie Daniel, et al. v. Ford Motor Company
- Paul B. Butler v. Porsche Cars North America, Inc.
- Sargon Enterprises v. University of Southern California
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Henry Yuen
- U.S. Department of Justice v. Tenet Healthcare Corporation
- Washington State Hospital Association Medicaid Supplemental Payments Matter
Report Prepared for City of Los Angeles
- Forum Evaluating the But-For World: Surveys, Experiments, and Market Data
- AG Feature Statistical Approaches to Pay Equity Issues: A Q&A with Affiliate Anthony LoSasso
- Health Care Bulletin A Look Inside Health Care Big Data
Colgate Softsoap False Advertising Consumer Class Action
Class Action v. Horace Mann Life Insurance et al.