Ph.D., economics, Graduate School of Business, the University of Chicago; CPA (Australia)
Summary of Experience
Professor Ball is one of the world's leading experts on the relation between financial disclosures and stock prices. His research with Philip Brown on earnings and stock prices received the American Accounting Association's inaugural award for Seminal Contributions to the Accounting Literature. Professor Ball is the author of more than 100 papers and has held numerous editorial leadership positions. He is coordinating editor of Journal of Accounting Research, former editor of Journal of Accounting and Economics, and was founding editor of Australian Journal of Management. He has been associate editor or member of the editorial board of the Journal of Contemporary Accounting and Economics, European Accounting Review, Journal of Banking and Finance, and Journal of Business Finance and Accounting. He is a trustee of Harbor Funds and chairs its audit committee.
Professor Ball serves on the Financial Reporting Faculty Advisory Group of the Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales, the Advisory Board of the Center for Accounting Research and Education at the University of Notre Dame, and the Australian School of Business Alumni Leaders Network. He has served on the Financial Accounting Standards Board's Financial Accounting Standards Advisory Council and the Shadow Financial Regulation Committee, and as a professor in the European Institute for Advanced Studies in Management. The American Accounting Association has honored him with many awards. He was elected to the Accounting Hall of Fame in 2009.
Provided Expert Testimony
- Daiichi Sankyo and Ranbaxy Laboratories Damages Arbitration
- J.C. Van Apeldoorn and E.T. Meijer, In Their Capacity as Trustees in Bankruptcy for KPNQwest N.V., et al. v. Qwest Communications International, Inc. (“Qwest”), et al.
- Otto Candies v. US Dept. of Justice Taxation Division
- Postova Banka AS and Istrokapital SE v. The Hellenic Republic
- US Securities and Exchange Commission v. Penn West Petroleum Ltd., et al.