Carla S. Mulhern
M.Sc., economics, London School of Economics and Political Science; B.S., mathematics, Bucknell University
Summary of Experience
Ms. Mulhern specializes in the application of economic principles to issues arising in complex business litigation. She has served as an expert witness on damages issues in commercial litigation matters, including intellectual property (IP) and breach of contract cases, providing testimony in various district and state courts. Ms. Mulhern’s intellectual property damages experience includes cases involving allegations of patent, copyright, and trademark infringement, as well as misappropriation of trade secrets; she has also provided expert testimony on these issues in Section 337 cases at the International Trade Commission (ITC). Before the ITC, she has testified on a variety of economic issues, such as domestic industry, remedy, bonding, commercial success, and public interest. Ms. Mulhern’s litigation experience spans a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, automotive, entertainment, consumer products, computer hardware and software, semiconductors, and telecommunications. In non-litigation matters, she has assisted clients in valuing intellectual property and other business assets in the context of strategic alliances and joint ventures. Ms. Mulhern has been recognized as among the top economic experts for IP matters by Intellectual Asset Management (IAM) in the IAM Patent 1000, which identifies leading patent professionals around the globe. She is a member of the American Economic Association and the Licensing Executives Society, and is a frequent writer and speaker on issues related to intellectual property valuation and damages assessment.
Provided Expert Testimony
- Comcast IP Holdings I LLC v. Sprint Communications Co. LP et al.
- In re: Certain Beverage Dispensing Systems and Components Thereof (ITC Inv. No. 337-TA-1130)
- In the Matter of Certain Integrated Circuit Chips and Products Containing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-859)
- In the Matter of Certain Mobile Electronic Devices and Radio Frequency and Processing Components Thereof (Inv. No. 337-TA-1093)
- In the Matter of Certain Products Having Laminated Packaging, Laminated Packaging, and Components Thereof
- Maxell, Ltd. v. ZTE (USA) Inc.
- Minuteman Trucks, Inc. v. HN80 Corporation and Sterling Truck Corp.
IAM Yearbook 2019, October 2018
Recently Released FDA Guidance and Biosimilar Development: Implications for the Litigation Environment
FDLI Update, March/April 2012
Meniscus Health Care Communications
Mulhern C, Neels K
Licensing Economics Review
Mulhern C, Rozek R
July 1, 2021
June 15, 2020
June 24, 2019
October 17, 2018
July 16, 2018
June 18, 2018
- Forum An Inside Look at ITC’s Expedited Investigations Pilot Program
- Video Carla Mulhern - Patent Litigation Before the International Trade Commission (ITC)
In the Matter of Certain Integrated Circuit Chips and Products Containing the Same (Inv. No. 337-TA-859)
Comcast IP Holdings I LLC v. Sprint Communications Co. LP et al.