Robert L. Vigil
Ph.D., economics, University of Maryland; B.A., economics, Pepperdine University
Summary of Experience
Dr. Vigil specializes in the application of economics and finance to complex commercial litigation matters. His work includes the estimation of damages and unjust enrichment in intellectual property (IP) and breach of contract cases; the evaluation of patented drug products’ commercial success in connection with generic manufacturers’ Abbreviated New Drug Application submissions to obtain early market entry; and the analysis of issues related to the granting of permanent injunctions, such as irreparable harm and causal nexus. Dr. Vigil has also analyzed issues related to domestic industry, remedy, and bonding on cases before the International Trade Commission.
Dr. Vigil has served as an expert witness on litigation matters in a variety of industries, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, consumer products, telecommunications, computer hardware and software, and electronics. In non-litigation matters, he has assisted clients in valuing IP for sale or license; identifying and evaluating potential partners for licensing, acquisition, or divestiture of assets; and analyzing the impact of generic entry on prices and market shares of brand name pharmaceutical products.
Dr. Vigil is a member of the American Economic Association, the American Marketing Association, and the Licensing Executives Society, and is a frequent speaker on issues related to IP, valuation, and damages assessment. He has also taught courses in microeconomics and econometrics at the University of Maryland.
Provided Expert Testimony
- In re Certain Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters and Products Containing Same
- Mobile Telecommunications Technologies LLC v. Samsung Telecommunications America LLC
- NeWire Inc. v. Southwire Company
- Apple v. Samsung Injunction Ruling (July 2014)
- Apple v. Samsung Trial (May 2014)
- Cogent Systems, Inc. v. Northrop Grumman Corporation
- Comcast IP Holdings I LLC v. Sprint Communications Co. LP et al.
- ContentGuard Holdings Inc. v. Google Inc.
- E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co. v. Kolon Industries Inc.
- Honeywell International, Inc. v. Air Products and Chemicals
- Maxell, Ltd. v. ZTE (USA) Inc.
- SimpleAir v. Google, et al.
- St. Clair Intellectual Property Consultants Inc. v. Toshiba Corp. et al.
- Wisconsin Alumni Research Foundation v. Apple
IAM Yearbook 2019, October 2018
International In-house Counsel Journal, Vol. 8, No. 32,
October 17, 2018
July 16, 2018
January 03, 2018
NeWire Inc. v. Southwire Company
In re Certain Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters and Products Containing Same
Apple v. Samsung Trial (May 2014)
Mobile Telecommunications Technologies LLC v. Samsung Telecommunications America LLC
St. Clair Intellectual Property Consultants Inc. v. Toshiba Corp. et al.