Richard M. Starfield
M.B.A., finance, Columbia Business School; Bachelors of commerce and accounting, University of Witwatersrand
Summary of Experience
Mr. Starfield specializes in the direction and management of large-scale cases involving complex economic and financial issues. For more than two decades, he has conducted economic analysis and managed case teams in support of leading academic experts in a range of cases, notably a number of matters involving complex securities, including residential mortgage-backed securities, collateralized debt obligations, and credit default swaps. In matters related to the Lehman bankruptcy, he supported multiple experts in assignments related to structured financial products, secured financing, collateral management, derivatives risk exposure, complex accounting topics, and the causes of Lehman's failure. He also managed case teams in the Enron-related litigations involving some of the major settlements emerging from the Enron bankruptcy. In addition, he has worked on a broad range of cases in the investment management area, including numerous matters involving alleged violations of Sections 10b-5 and 11, in which he provided management of many dimensions of financial and economic analysis, including market efficiency, loss causation and materiality, and damages. Mr. Starfield also worked with mutual fund companies, boards, and regulators in some of the most prominent market timing matters. He managed all aspects of financial and economic analysis in a fraudulent conveyance litigation involving one of the largest bank failures in US history, including identification and support of numerous academic expert witnesses who testified on the economics of the banking industry; conditions in real estate markets; the management, operation, and regulation of nationally chartered commercial banks and bank holding companies; and factors that led to bank failures.
He has conducted analyses and served as an expert in numerous matters involving commercial disputes, and also has significant experience in the valuation of large, closely held companies.
In his role as an expert, Mr. Starfield has developed economic and financial models; prepared testimony; developed, presented, and reviewed pretrial discovery; and evaluated the economic and financial analyses of opposing experts. He has provided support to successful testimony on numerous topics involving economics in both bench and jury trials. Outside of litigation, he has assisted clients in a variety of industries with development of business plans and financial projections, frequently involving the use of complex integrated financial models. Formerly a senior manager in the Dispute Analysis and Corporate Recovery Services group of Price Waterhouse, Mr. Starfield is a chartered accountant of South Africa, a member of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants, and a member of the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants in the United Kingdom.
- "Winstar" Damages Litigation
- Adelphia Recovery Trust v. Bank of America, et al.
- AWG Leasing Trust v. United States of America
- Ben S. Branch, Trustee of Bank of New England Corporation v. Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation
- Corporate Partners v. Coopers & Lybrand
- Daiichi Sankyo and Ranbaxy Laboratories Damages Arbitration
- Dunkin Donuts v. Michael Panagakos
- Global Crossing Bankruptcy Bondholder Suit
- Gramercy Funds Management LLC and Gramercy Peru Holdings LLC v. Republic of Peru
- In re Bear Stearns Litigation
- LVMH Moet Hennessy-Louis Vuitton SE Acquisition of Tiffany & Co.
- Mortgage Insurance Industry RESPA Cases
- National Westminster Bank (NatWest) v. US Dept. of Justice Taxation Division
- New Jersey Carpenters Vacation Fund, et al. v. The Royal Bank of Scotland Group, plc, et al.
- OCC administrative actions against Rohan Ramchandani, former head of European FX Spot Trading at Citibank, and Richard Usher, former head of EMEA FX Spot Trading at JPMorgan Chase
- Parnes v. Bally Entertainment Corp.
- Procter & Gamble Company v. United States
- Rogers v. United States
- Securities and Exchange Commission v. Philip R. Jacoby, Jr., et al.
- Steinhoff International Holdings N.V. Shareholder Litigation
- Sumitomo Corporation v. Major Investment Banks
- Twitter v. Elon Musk, et al.
- United States v. Richard Usher, et al.
- Virgin Atlantic v. British Airways
May 3, 2023
February 22, 2023
February 28, 2022
August 16, 2021